Tuesday, November 3, 2015

They Are Out There 11/2/15

Story of the week!!

Halloween was very cold and very wet, and we were outside all day. Very fun!! haha Well we had been knocking for about 4 1/2 hours when we came upon a house where the McDaniels live. Marci (the wife) answered the door, and her Husband Kevin came shortly after. I will leave out all the swear words, but the exchange went a little something like this. He very angrily said, "Look boys, my house is being foreclosed, and we don't need people like you coming around here." We got quiet and asked if there was anything he needed and he replied with an outstretched hand, "Give me your wallet" I replied that their wasn't much in it and he said "Well that's what we need!" and slammed the door.

I walked off that door step with a pit in my stomach, followed by a prompting. About half way down the walk, I stopped, pulled out my wallet and asked Elder Cornelison for a card. We pulled out the $11 dollars we had and we wrote on the note, "It isn't much, but it's all we have." and put it on the porch. Before we could leave, Kevin came out and said (again leaving out the swearing) "What are you doing?!" We replied that we left something on his porch. He looked down and said "Are you kidding me?!" We quietly said "We didn't mean to offend you. We just wanted to help in any way we could, and this is all we had." I was sure we were going to get beat up, but he leaned up against a post, not sure whether to swear or cry. We talked for a little bit, laughed at a Michigan shaped puddle in his yard, and got to know his situation. He calmed down, and invited us into his garage out of the rain. We talked more about his spiritual life, and his wife came out mentioning that she wants to get back into church and was looking for a place to go. Eventually they invited us in and we were able to teach about the enabling power of Christ's atonement in helping us overcome these struggles. They were all smiles when we left. As I shook Kevin's hand, I said "See ya Brother." He seemed very taken back by what I had called him, and with a look of surprise, love and gratitude said, "yea. We will see ya Brother." Very special moment. I don't think I felt the cold on the way home. 

It's moments like that that make the mission worth it. It's not about the numbers, as wonderful as those are. It's all about lifting the hands that hang down and cheering up the downtrodden. I have faith that things will go well with them :) Just a huge testimony builder to me that these people are out there waiting for us. They truly are out there! 

Its been a good week. I learned a lot this morning in studies about what I need to do more. I am thankful I have as much time as I do left to give all I can. 

Elder Wheat

Knocking in the rain!! Great day to wear gray pants!

1 comment:

  1. Love you Elder Wheat!!! Keep on knocking in the rain, and risk getting a tongue lashing. All the love in your heart is transparent. You're making the world a better place, one door at a time. <3

    ReplyDelete