Thursday, May 14, 2015

5/4/15

I don't think I have ever been this tired in my entire life. I remember before my mission, I used to think how wonderfully relaxing my mission was going to be, because I wouldn't have to worry about papers, or work, or relationships, just the Lord and his work. Well I was totally wrong. This has been the most mentally, physically, and spiritually exhausting experience of my life, and it seemed to all come to a head this week. I wake up feeling like I got hit by a truck, study, then go to work. I sit down for a second, then go to the Lord for strength, only to fall asleep on my knees. But I have to say that I have felt the enabling power of the atonement of Christ lift me to a higher state. He strengthens me until the task is complete, then allows me to sleep on and take my rest. Blessed be the name of the Lord. 

So as far as miracles this week, here is a few.

Like I said before, we don't use our cars on Saturdays, which is a good opportunity for us to walk around and talk to everyone we see. This last Saturday, we walked by a man working in the yard, and I called out to him, without a response so we continued walking. After a few steps, Elder Alley stopped and said, "We need to go back." We did and asked him "If you could ask God one question, what would it be?" He replied "How can I be a better follower of Christ?" What ensued was a two hour conversation about the restoration, and while he still wasn't fully on board, I know the Lord sent us back to him. We will see where it goes.

Breana and Jerry are progressing SO WELL!! We unfortunately have to hand them off to the Neighboring area, but to see the light that has come into their eyes and the healing that has occurred in both of their lives has been a special thing. Breana got up to bear her testimony yesterday and said, "We have been putting this off for a long time, but it's time to get this taken care of. We are so excited to be getting baptized." Oh man :) So cool. I cannot wait for their baptism in 2 weeks. 

On Sunday, we were sitting in church when Sister Reed walked over and brought a family to sit next to us. The mom has come before, but this time she brought her sons. Her 22 year old son Logan (Who has the sickest dread locks ever) stayed with us for the day, and really liked Church. We are hoping to start teaching him pretty soon, but pray for this family. I can see them in white already. Sister Reed reminds me a lot of my mom and dad. Always about sharing the gospel, and always bringing people to church. I love having someone just like my mom in the ward. :) 

You know, I feel like my whole mission has been a steady stream of undeserved and unearned blessings. The stories I tell in my emails may not seem like all that much, but that is because words don't fully describe the experience and feelings you have as a missionary. I am sad to say that I feel I am taking these blessings for granted. They have come so freely and so often, that I sometimes see them as common place, while missionaries pray for even one experience like the one's I have had or one investigator like the ones I have taught. I am thankful for what the Lord has allotted me. I am thankful for my mission. 

Today in my studies, I came across a story in Helaman 7 where a missionary named Nephi cries out in discouragement, "Oh, that I could have had my days in the days when my father Nephi first came out of the land of Jerusalem, that I could have joyed with him in the promised land; then were his people easy to be entreated, firm to keep the commandments of God, and slow to be led to do iniquity; and they were quick to hearken unto the words of the Lord— Yea, if my days could have been in those days, then would my soul have had joy in the righteousness of my brethren." His frustration because of his lack of success lead him to say, "I wish I had his mission, because he had it easy. I wish I could go back to that time in my life when things were good. Then I could be happy." For a time he had forgotten the real purpose of his work. Plus, the Nephi he is referring to didn't have it easy either (2 Nephi 4:17, 1 Nephi 17:19, 2 Nephi 33:3). There is no such thing as an easy mission. The purpose of his ministry came to realized when the Lord told him only 3 chapters later, "And now, because thou hast done this with such unwearyingness, behold, I will bless thee forever; and I will make thee mighty in word and in deed, in faith and in works; yea, even that all things shall be done unto thee according to thy word, for thou shalt not ask that which is contrary to my will." The blessings of a successful missionary are never baptisms. He doesn't hand them out as a prize for obedience or diligence. The blessing of a successful mission is conversion. To have your heart and will come in perfect harmony with our Father. I am the only convert I can promise on my mission, and I pray that I am delivering that which I can give. In such a course, we should not be surprised when we find the road is long and hard, but with all of you I pray, "Chasten my soul, till I shall be, In perfect harmony with thee.

Love you all

Elder Wheat

No comments:

Post a Comment