Tuesday, June 17, 2014

We Have Been Robbed 06/16/14

We got robbed. Yes, we were robbed haha

Our first mistake was going to a place called Ace of Fades to get a hair cut with the other Elders downtown. We were waiting for about 45 min, so I went out to the car to get my note pad so I could write a letter. After the haircut, we were driving away, and I noticed that my bag, which contained my scriptures, study journal, and camera, was missing, as well as Elder Kofoed's camera and Elder Adams' GPS. We stopped, and went back, but found nothing. Elder Kofoed suggested we call the police, and the rest of us thought it would be pointless. We were idiots. We went to the church, half smiling to lighten the mood, but half mourning inside. As I was writing my email last week, it hit me all of a sudden what happened. What this guy took was much more valuable than just a couple of cameras and some scriptures. These were tokens of life changing memories that we would never get back. I knelt down and offered up a prayer. In essence I said, "Heavenly Father, I don't know how this is going to work, but I know that you can make it happen. If it is thy will, find a way that our things will be returned." I didn't know this at the time, but each of the missionaries in our district, and even some friends and family at home offered similar prayers. The following day, we get a call from the mission office, which said, "Are you ready for some good news? They found your cameras!" I was freaking out. They told us to call a Detective Walker at Grand Rapids PD, and so we did. They said they had all of our cameras, a GPS, and a bag. They didn't know if it was my bag, but there was hope.

We went to the police station, and he told us what happened. Apparently, some officers stopped this guy on the street. I am not sure why they did, but they did. They found some items on him that they thought were stolen. He admitted to stealing them from a white car (our white car). They weren't sure who the stuff belonged to, so they started going through the stuff. After a couple hours, detective Walker was going through Elder Kofoed's camera, and zoomed in on his name tag. They looked up Kofoeds, and they found his sister in Utah, who led him to the mission office, which led them back to us. 

We went to check on the bag, and it turned out to not be mine. That really got to me. I was really heartbroken about it. There were a lot of sacred things in that bag. But eventually I began to realize the miracle that had just taken place. There was know plausible way that we would get our things back, except for divine intervention. I am still shaking my head over this. The Lord is so good. I know with all my heart, that those who ask the Father in faith for that which is right will receive. I have come to terms with the loss of my bag, but I am honestly extremely excited for a chance to begin again with a new set of scriptures. All of the written revelation that I lost will be returned by the power of the Holy Ghost. I am just so thankful the Lord is aware of us. 

Just to update you all, transfers are in! Elder Kofoed is being transferred out :( It was a very different experience for me, I really enjoyed serving with him. He is a wonderful man!

President Hess assigned me to be a district leader, and I will also be training a new missionary. I am terrified, but I am so excited!!!!! This is going to be a wonderful growing experience. I have no idea how to be a trainer or a district leader, but I know the Lord will show me how!

I love you all!! 

Elder Wheat



The District and ZLs

Michigan Rain

I love the trees!

The Evidence

No comments:

Post a Comment