Saturday, February 1, 2014

First Letter!!! 1/31/14


Hey Mom and Dad!

It is almost unreal strong the spirit is here in the MTC. I have never felt it like this at any time in my life! But i made it here and i am safe so mom can stop worrying now! They feed us well and my district is incredible! My companion is Elder Giar, the same Elder Giar we had dinner with at the Shorr's house last month! These last few days have strengthened my testimony of the lords plan for us. I am supposed to be here with Elder Giard, and with my district. All these fine young men and their testimonies have strengthened me and my testimony and half truly brought the spirit into my life.

Being here has been a truly humbling experience for me. I honestly came in thinking I was going to be an excellent teacher and a model missionary. It amazes me how wrong I was. Our first "teaching experiences" were on Wednesday night. We taught 3 investigators in companionships of about 50 missionaries. For the first 2 people, I felt like I had all the answers. I felt like I knew there needs and could effectively teach what they needed to hear. I felt like I had it down! But then came the third investigator named 3Jae. He was a Samoan young man who recently came to BYU from Stanford to help his best friend with some family issues. This poor guy's heart was so hard. He shut down every missionary who tried to help him or break through. He said that he hated it in Provo because everyone just seemed so fake. He called into question our testimonies that God was real, and I felt like this was my chance. I testified as well as I could that God does live, and that this can only be known through sincere prayer. I challenged him to pray and ask and he bluntly said NO. I was shocked! I was ready to respect his agency and give up. Then another Elder in the room stood up. He said, "3Jae, my name is Elder so and so, and you said you felt like everyone shows you fake love. Well I LOVE YOU. I have barely met you, but I love you. We could have been best friends in the preexistence and you begged me to come find you. No matter how much you resist or say no. You begged me to keep trying until you believe. Jesus showed he loved his disciples by washing their feet and I will do the same for you. I will wash your feet. I will clip your toenails. I will give you my food. I will do anything for you because I love you!" I looked over at 3Jae and he had broken down in tears. He finally opened up to us and told us all. His heart was softened by the love shown by that one elder.

I have learned 2 things from that. One is that I should never give up on anyone, no matter how hard they may be. They are my brother or sister, and they need me to help them come unto Christ. So I will NEVER give up on anyone. Second is that love cannot be expressed in words. True love is an action. For God so LOVED the world that he GAVE his only begotten son. If ye LOVE me, KEEP my commandments. If I am to help anyone come unto Christ, I must have and show sincere love toward them. If they feel that love, they will be softened enough to let the light of Christ shine through. 

These last couple days have been life changing. I can honestly say I know what its like to forget yourself. I have developed such love for my companion and my district that it has completely filled my heart. This is such an incredible place. I realize that it is impossible for me to do this work alone. These last few days have shown me my weakness, and I know that as long as I have his help and grace, my weaknesses can become strengths. 

I miss you and love you so much! I am doing my best to make you proud! Its hard to be away from my family for two years, but I am happy do it so others can be with theirs for eternity. 
I love you!
Love, 
Elder Wheat

No comments:

Post a Comment